All drivers in North Carolina must establish financial responsibility by purchasing at least a minimum amount of auto insurance as follows:
- For injuries or death involving one person in one accident: $30,000
- For injuries or deaths of more than one person in one accident: $60,000
- For property damage: $25,000
Proof of Insurance
Drivers in North Carolina must be able to prove that they have insurance. They must carry either a certificate of insurance (Form FS-1) or have the policy number and name of their insurance carrier. If there is ever a lapse in a driver's coverage, he or she will receive a Form FS 5-7 from the DMV. This must be filled out and returned to the DMV within 10 days indicating the new auto insurance information. If the form isn't returned within 10 days, the motorist's driver's license may be suspended for 30 days and a penalty fee assessed. Before the person's driver's license can be reinstated, the penalty fee must be paid and a completed Form FS-1 must be provided to the DMV.
North Carolina Insurance Fraud
Insurance fraud in North Carolinacomes in many forms. Some of these are as follows:
- Referring people to lawyers and doctors for a fee.
- Falsely reporting a stolen car.
- Charging for new parts when used parts are utilized.
- When traffic accident doctors charge excessively.
- Staging crashes and charging unsuspecting victims' insurance carriers.
- "Paper Accidents," where an accident report is filed but no accident really happened.
- False insurance policies and fake insurance cards.
North Carolinaaccidentscaused by drivers with a blood alcohol content (BAC) level of 0.10 percent and higher result in the greatest number of injuries and fatal accidents. Alcohol-related deaths and injuries cost the state millions of dollars each year.
Strange North Carolina Laws
Every state has a number of outdated laws on the books. These can be funny, nonsensical and even bizarre. Here are a few of North Carolina'sunusual laws:
- In North Carolina, it is illegal to sing off key.
- Clubs in North Carolina are not allowed to hold meetings when their members are wearing costumes.
- It is illegal for dogs and cats to fight.
Driving in North Carolina
People who want totour North Carolinashould take the Outer Banks Road Trip. Motorists will see old, working lighthouses, surfers and kayakers braving the ocean waves, a car ferry, seafood restaurants, quaint shops and museums packed to the brim with North Carolina history.
One of North Carolina's most notable historical sites is theWright Brothers National Museumin Kill Devil Hills. Did you know that this is where the Wright Brothers took their first flight?